As testified by archaeological finds, the site was inhabited since prehistoric times. On documents, its name appears for the first time in the year 1219. The village is situated on a sunny terrace on the north side of the valley. The evangelistic church cited in 1354 with the name of San Laurenzio is here. It was re-structured and extended in 1506 and in 1750.
Also of importance is the dynasty of the von Salis-Soglio family testified by Palazzo Salis, now Hotel Palazzo Salis. It dates back to the seventeenth century and called Casa Battista; it has a beautiful relaxing baroque garden behind it with sequoias.